Wednesday, May 8, 2013

HIGH SCHOOL HOT HAM AND CHEESE

 


By the time I was a senior in high school, there was little to encourage me to get to school early. I had been counting down the days to graduation since I was a sophomore; not to mention that my first period class was easy street and didn't require me to be have any sort of assignment ready at 8:00am when the bell rang (FYI: Student government. We planned rallies and spirit week. And we went to Starbucks a lot because they were a "school sponsor.") . So getting to school early was not a big priority. On time, yes, because I've always been that girl. But not early.

Except.
 
My high school had hot ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. These sandwiches were only served before school, and they were heavenly. The bread was slightly sweet, the cheese was melted perfectly, the ham was salty and piled high. They wrapped them in foil and served them so hot, they would burn your mouth.  They were so very good; they were worth getting to school early.
It has been a rare occurrence that I've come across such deliciousness since high school. Once, on a trip across Texas with a friend, we found a tiny bakery in the middle of nowhere that made them. I ate two. But, the high school hot ham and cheese remains elusive. Then I picked up a bag of Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls. You know the sweet Hawaiian rolls that you eat on holidays? Well now they make them in sandwich roll size. When I bit into one, I knew I could make a hot ham and cheese just like high school. The sandwiches came out perfect. The ham is salty and warm, the sharp cheddar is melted perfectly, and the bread is just the right amount of sweet.  Could a hot ham and cheese sandwich been the best part of high school?
Let's make these at home, shall we? This is a 1,2,3 done kind of meal.
 



 

High School Hot Ham and Cheese

 
Ingredients:
2 King's Hawaiian Original Hawaiian Sweet sandwich buns
4 slices of lunch meat ham ( I use uncured. This brand is amazing. You can find it at Costco.)
2 large or 4 small slices of sharp cheddar cheese
1 tbsp. honey mustard
1 tbsp. mayonnaise
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix mustard and mayonnaise together, spread evenly on one half of each sandwich bun pair. On the other half of the bun, place the ham and top with cheese. Put the mayo/mustard half on top of the ham/cheese half. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, until cheese is melted and tops of sandwich rolls are slightly browned. Serve immediately.
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment