Wednesday, May 28, 2014

ROASTED GREEN BEANS

 
Growing up, green beans made an appearance on our table at least once a week. Unfortunately, they were of the canned variety, boiled until they were mushy. This resulted in me thinking that I did not like green beans, that they were something to be choked down but never enjoyed.
I was wrong.
When I was 18, I moved to Georgia. And let me tell you, Georgia knows how to cook fresh beans. I learned first hand how lovely fresh green beans are. The taste of a fresh green bean is simply not comparable to the canned ones. They are crisp and clean and delicious. As green bean season is approaching, my local grocery store has piles of them and my garden is full of buds on the bean plants (grow beans, grow!) Sometimes though, it's hard to think of a way to cook them other than just boiling them.  Enter: roasting. These roasted green beans are just yum.  I love the flavor of green beans cooked this way: lightly crispy and bursting with taste. Try them tonight!
 
 

Roasted Green Beans

 
 
Ingredients:
1lb green beans, trimmed
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 swirls of olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper
 
Preheat the oven to 400. On a large baking sheet, toss trimmed green beans with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Toss beans, and continue roasting for 15 minutes more, until beans are slightly browned and crispy looking. Serve warm.
 
Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment