Wednesday, August 26, 2015

WHOLE30: WEEK 3




 I just finished Week 3 of my Whole30 (Week 1, Week 2) ! And honestly, this week was the toughest. Monday through about Thursday-both the husband and I were not super excited. This weekend though, things turned around and I'm starting to feel good. Like, really good.
The main reason last week was hard was because I didn't do my food prep for the week. Most weeks, on Fridays, I meal plan, do all the grocery shopping, and then do food prep for the week-make salads, cut up veggies, make any dressings/condiments we're low on. It's a bit of work, but makes a HUGE difference in our week. The Friday leading up to last week, we had a company function for my husband's battalion, which threw off all the meal prep. I had a plan, but was scrambling everyday to get it done. This past Friday, I got all the groceries, did the prep and it's already made a huge difference. Meal planning is your friend, especially on a Whole30!
This week while prepping, I tried a recipe for Whipped Coconut Cream. People. This is the stuff of legends. It is creamy and delicious and tastes like whipped cream, except that it's dairy free and full of vitamins and antioxidants. Umm...winner.
I couldn't find a recipe any where that didn't call for some sort of sugar to sweeten it. I was concerned that maybe not adding sugar or agave might mess with the consistency, but I decided to try it anyway. I used a little bit of coconut/pineapple water as a sweetener and it came out perfect.  This tastes SO GOOD on fruit, and I don't think I'll ever go back to dairy whipped cream again.
 
 

Whipped Coconut Cream

1 can of Coconut Milk (not cream), cold (refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight-this is essential)
1 tsp. Coconut Pineapple water  (I use this brand. Make sure to read your labels for no sugar added.)
 
Open the can of Coconut Milk, from the bottom. Pour out the water that has formed there, set aside and save. Pour cream into a bowl, add coconut pineapple water. Mix in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, about 10-15 minutes. Serve over fruit. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week. When you pull it out of the fridge after a couple days, it might appear a bit foam like. Just stir it up and the whipped consistency will return!
Enjoy!
 


1 comment: