Monday, September 7, 2015

WHOLE30: FINISHED!



So last Friday, I officially finished my first Whole30. And I want to tell everyone everything about it. Why? Because this has changed my entire out look about eating. We have always eaten pretty healthy and been considerate about what we were eating. But the Whole30 has taken it to a whole new level. I am very aware of how much my entire body and mind are affected by the food I chose to eat. And I feel amazing!
 
 
You can read all the rules here but I just wanted to talk about the changes that we have personally seen in our family-because our WholeFamily has had a great outcome from our Whole30 (you see what I did there).
 
1. We have cut our sugar consumption like whoa. I had no idea how much sugar we were consuming on a daily basis. I noted in my first week review that I knew things were getting a little out of hand with dessert at our house, but it turns out dessert was the least of our worries. Spaghetti sauce, salad dressing, bread, bacon-it's all full of sugar. By cutting our sugar intake, our kids especially are less cranky, sleeping better, and have cut their cravings. I plan on cutting refined sugar as completely as possible and keeping "natural" sugars such as honey and agave to a minimum.
 
2. And speaking of sleep, everyone is sleeping better. Ever since we moved, my husband hasn't slept well. That's been a year! But the Whole30 has helped him hugely. We're both sleeping better at night and getting up easier in the morning-no more snooze alarms. I'm also not feeling an afternoon slump like I had a tendency to do.
 
3. Drinking isn't the only way to have a good time. I also mentioned in my first week review that we were having one drink to many to often. After doing the Whole30, where there was no drinking at all, we had a real eye opener. We were equaling drinking with all sorts of everyday things: relaxing, having fun, and just what we did on Fridays and Saturday because everyone else is. New flash: not healthy. Not normal. A glass of wine on a Saturday night or a bottle of hard cider at a barbeque is great. But our overall consumption was entirely too much for us to be comfortable with. For me, this awareness was one of the best things to come out of the Whole30 and I'm thankful for it.
 
4. Exercise is so much better when you're eating well and taking care of yourself. I'm what would be a reluctant runner. I run not because I truly enjoy it, but because it's good for me, and I'm in my 30s and I need something to keep me in check. But you know what? My running has gotten better since starting the Whole30. Like, a lot better. And it's inspired me to come up with new running workouts. And it turns out that not only am I now one of those people who will say "No bread please," I'm now also one of those people who LIKES TO RUN FOR FUN.
(I'm sorry. I hope we can still be friends.)
My yoga routines have also gotten longer and better.
 
5. And finally...between the two of us, my husband and I lost 28 lbs. I thought that the weight I was at-which was a healthy weight, if not my happiest weight-was just where I was going to be from now on. I'm in my 30s, I have two kids. But eating like this and running better and doing yoga like I mean it has made my body the way I'm happiest.
 

I like big glasses and I cannot lie.

So what's next?  I plan on continuing to eat Whole30ish most of the time and truly enjoy my occasional indulgences. I encourage you to try a Whole30 yourself! You CAN do it, and it WILL make you feel awesome. Even if you're already healthy. Even if you love junk food. Try it; you won't be disappointed!
 
I'll be continuing to post recipes and inspiration here on the blog and on Instagram (@junenovember).
 
Cookbook recommendations: I'm getting continued inspiration from Against All Grain and the actual Whole 30 book.
 



1 comment:

  1. Looking Good, Michelle! Keep Up The Good Work! Love Following Your Whole 30 Journey! Thank You For Sharing!

    ReplyDelete