Thursday, April 14, 2016

ESSENTIALS FOR A RELUCTANT RUNNER


I started running again this week. It felt awful. My lungs burned, my eyes and nose watered, my throat was dry. I felt slooooooow and tired after running just half the distance I was usually doing.

Okay, it felt great. It felt really, really good to get out and run in the morning, all by myself. I didn't push myself-at all-and I managed to run at a decent pace (it wasn't as slow as it felt). I felt great all day. It's ridiculous. Things that require you to get up at 5:00am and exert yourself should not make you feel this good. What the hell, endorphins?! I hate you. But I love you.

Suffices to say, I am a reluctant runner. I run purely for exercise- I have no dreams of marathons or the desire to go and run 10 miles on a Saturday for fun (um, no. NEVER.). But the fact is I DO run and I do (grudgingly) enjoy it. It makes me feel good, and it's good for me.

Are you done rolling your eyes at me yet? Good. Let's talk about some essentials for a reluctant runner:

1. Good Sports Bra and Running Legging. Last year, Victoria's Secret came out with a workout line, and to promote it they had a "buy a sports bra, get a pair of pants for free" and, on a whim, I did just that. Considering that I am not a hard core runner, I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on workout clothes. These are decently prices and, in my opinion, pretty amazing. The pants do not fall down, which I find to be the curse of athletic leggings, and the sports bra fits great (and does what it's suppose to do. ahem.) The zipper front on this particular sports bra can be a little tricky, but once it's all zipped up it's worth the struggle.

2. Earbuds, Phone Armband, Great Podcast, & Nike+ Running App. An armband for your phone and a pair of earbuds is a must if you like to listen to anything while you run. I personally like to listen to podcasts while I run (current favorites: 25% Friends, the habits series, and What Should I Read Next? with Anne Bogel). I also use the Nike+ Running App during runs. It can be used on both a treadmill and outdoors, and counts your mileage and time.  As you run, it tell you how far you've gone and your time per mile, and charts your course (if you're outdoors), which I really like. It also keeps a chart of all your runs in one place for easy reference. You can also set running goals with it and it gives you a detailed weekly/monthly plan. I haven't used this part of the app, but my husband does and he really likes this feature.

3. A good pair of running shoes. I'm currently running in my second pair of Nike Zoom Pegasus 31's and I continue to really like them.  Again, I'm not spending a million dollars on running things. If you shop around, you can find these decently priced.

4. Headbands and hair ties.

5. Light weight long sleeve shirt. I get up early to run and it's usually still cold and dark. I like that this long sleeve pullover is both lightweight and reflective. I picked it up at Target.

Are you a runner? A reluctant one? Maybe we should start a series, Tales of Reluctant Runners...

Happy Friday Eve, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment