Wednesday, August 19, 2015

WHOLE30: WEEK 2




 
Week 2, done! So here we are, down another week of this Whole30 . (You can read about Week 1 here). There were lots of tomatoes. Lots of avocados. So many eggs. But you know what? I spent a lot of time not really wanting to eat anything. Not in a grouchy "I hate all these limits" way. I'm just not hungry.
Well, I might have been hungry for crackers. I may or may not have daydreamed about eating an entire box all by myself during nap time. But, I did not. Because I have purposely cleared my home of all crackers, because I knew these feeling would be coming.
But the food. We had some lows this week-I don't know how to make "cauliflower rice" evidently-but we also had some really good meals. No bean chili (recipe below!) and spaghetti squash are both deliciously satisfying and things we had never eaten before. The kids are doing AMAZING on cutting sugar and processed snacks. They're less grumpy, sleeping better, and not always hungry. I hadn't realized how bad we were getting about unhealthy snacks, so Whole30 has been a big wake up call on that. And I truly love eating so healthy and having my family eat healthier too. We're getting back on track and it feels great.
But I still miss crackers.
 
This chili was the highlight meal of the week. EVERYONE loved it. And it was so so simple.
 

 

Whole30 No Bean Chili

Ingredients:
2 lbs lean ground beef (grass fed if that's your thing) or ground turkey
1 large green bell peppers, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
2 cans mild Rotel
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 cups water
1-2 cups of beef stock (Kitchen Basics is Whole30 compliant)
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
 
Toppings:
Avacado, cilantro (if desired)
 
In a large pot, brown the ground beef. Add the chopped green bell pepper and onion, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain off grease. Add Rotel, tomato paste, water, and spices, stir. Bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes, Add 1 cup of beef stock, stir. Continue cooking for 30 minutes, adding more stock to reach your desired consistency. Adjust spices as desired. Serve topped with avocados and cilantro if that's your thing. Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment