Tuesday, July 19, 2016

TRADER JOE'S SHOPPING LIST: BASICS


Remember when I did a Whole 30? And then another one, minus Mother's Day? Oh, and all those recipes and meal plans where I can't stop talking about Whole 30 everything?

Whole 30 is kind of my jam, guys.

Since that first one, the husband and I mostly eat Whole 30 when we are at home. I love eating this way and I feel zero guilt when I truly enjoy my splurges, like during a recent weekend in New York City that involved both a meal of fresh gnocchi with three cheeses and macaroons from Bouchon, It's not a bad way to live. 

The thing is, Whole 30 eating, even Whole30ish eating, is not what one would call easy. The no sugar/no grains/no legumes/no alcohol/no dairy can making grocery shopping, well, hard. That stuff? It's. In. EVERYTHING. But fear not! Once you get the hang of it, it's totally doable. And you know what store has a bunch of stuff you can eat on Whole 30 and in Life After Whole 30 (that is a thing, it's a hash tag, it makes it real)?


If Whole 30 is my jam, Trader Joe's is the music system playing it. Ya'll, that store is a happy place. (I understand that TJ's are not everywhere, and for that I am sorry, guys. I have to drive 40 minutes to get to mine and the parking lot is a maze that is intent on trapping my car there, if it makes you feel better). I always pick up these 10 things when I'm there as pantry basics. 

1. Flowers. Yes, not a food, but this is a happy place, remember? You always leave with a gorgeous bouquet of $5.99 flowers. 2. Riced Cauliflower. I love this stuff, we eat cauliflower rice at least once a week. 3. Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes. I season them with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and they cook up amazingly crisp and delicious. 4. Frozen Seafood Blend. This mix of shrimp, calamari rings, and scallops is bomb. 5. Creamy Almond Butter. This is the best tasting almond butter out there, hands down. 6. Clarified Butter aka Ghee. An essential to any Whole 30/Paleo kitchen. 7. Organic Maple Syrup. This is NOT Whole 30 (but maple syrup is paleo). It is a fantastic price. 8. Coconut Oil and Olive Oil. Another two staples at great prices. 9. Almond Meal. This is a great substitute for flour in many recipes. 10. Salt and Pepper Pistachios. It is super hard to find seasoned nuts that are Whole 30 compliant but these are and they taste amazing.

While I'm not doing an official Whole 30 currently, these things are always in my pantry and fridge. It makes it so much easier to eat Whole 30ish if you have a fridge and pantry full of good food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment